Comparison of pain features and the factors that affects quality of life of central and peripheric neuropathic pain
- Muhammed KilinçAffiliated withRehabilitasyon Bölümü, Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Fakültesi Fizyoterapi Email author
- , Ayşe LivanelioğluAffiliated withRehabilitasyon Bölümü, Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Fakültesi Fizyoterapi
- , Sibel Aksu yildirimAffiliated withRehabilitasyon Bölümü, Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Fakültesi Fizyoterapi
The aim of this study, was to analyse the features of pain, QoL and the effects of age, gender and pain duration in patients with central neuropathic pain (CNP) and peripheral neuropathic pain (PNP).
Fourty patients were included in the study. The charactheristics and detailed pain history of patients were recorded. Visual analog scale (VAS) was used to evaluate pain intensity and nottingham health profile (NHP) was used to evaluate QoL of patients.
The mean age of patients with PNP were 51.75±18.23, and CNP were 48.5±18.74 years. There were no significance differences between the two group according to NSP and VAS results. The increase of age has negative effects on the physical activity in PNP group and energy level, emotional reactions, social isolation, physical activity and total quality of life level in CNP group (p<0.05). The increase of pain duration has negative effects on sleep, physical activity and total NHP results on PNP group however the duration of pain has no effects on CNP group. Furthermore gender has no effect on QoL of patients in the two groups.
For the treatment of neuropathic pain, the improvement of QoL is the main expectation of clinicans and patients. It is considered that, the results of our study, which included the detailed analysis of QoL in patients with PNP and CNP, will be useful for clinicians.
Key wordsCentral neuropathic pain Peripheral neuropathic pain Quality of life
Santral ve periferik nöropatik ağrida ağri özellikleri ve yaşam kalitesini etkileyen faktörlerin karşilaştirilmasi
- Comparison of pain features and the factors that affects quality of life of central and peripheric neuropathic pain
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Türk Fizyoterapi ve Rehabilitasyon Dergisi/Turkish Journal of Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation
- Online Date
- February 2014
- Online ISSN
- Turkish Physiotherapy Association
- Additional Links
- Central neuropathic pain
- Peripheral neuropathic pain
- Quality of life