Evaluating the ameliorative potential of plant flavonoids and their nanocomposites in bleomycin induced idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Srabani KarAffiliated withImmunobiology and Regenerative Medicine Research Lab, Dept. of Zoology, University of Calcutta Email author
- , Silpak BiswasAffiliated withImmunobiology and Regenerative Medicine Research Lab, Dept. of Zoology, University of Calcutta
- , Ena Ray BanerjeeAffiliated withImmunobiology and Regenerative Medicine Research Lab, Dept. of Zoology, University of Calcutta
Pulmonary Fibrosis can severely disrupt lung function. The cause of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) is still unclear. The treatment currently available for IPF provides minimal benefits. Bleomycin is used in research to induce experimental pulmonary fibrosis in animals. Plant flavonoids such as fisetin and curcumin are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. The aim was to demonstrate the path of physiological changes in bleomycin induced IPF and to further evaluate the reversal and ameliorative potentials of some plant flavonoids and their nanocomposites. Bleomycin administration is known to damage the lung epithelial cells resulting in lower cell numbers.
The Balb/c mice were used as models for bleo-induced IPF. Inflammation was measured by the generation of ROS, RONI, and histological assessment. Cell proliferation was measured by MTS assay and CFU assay.
Our colony-forming assay in BALF also demonstrated a reduction (1.65 fold) in colony-forming unit after bleomycin administration. The number of colonies increased upon treatment with fisetin(1.20 fold) and curcumin (1.13 fold) respectively. MTT proliferation assay demonstrated a significant increase in the number of viable cells upon treatment with curcumin (1.42 fold) and fisetin (1.74 fold) respectively, in the lung. The NBT assay demonstrated a significant effect of curcumin in BALF, lung and peripheral blood. A significant effect of fisetin was observed in BALF and peripheral blood.
These findings were also supported by the histological analyses of the lung samples. Curcumin showed highest potential for the treatment of IPF and fisetin showed its ameliorative effect.
Keywords:Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis bleomycin flavonoids nanocomposites anti-inflammatory
- Evaluating the ameliorative potential of plant flavonoids and their nanocomposites in bleomycin induced idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Biomedical Research and Therapy
- Online Date
- July 2016
- Online ISSN
- Laboratory of Stem Cell Research and Application
- Additional Links
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis