Indonesian Nursing Students in Caring Behavior
- NursalamAffiliated withNursing Sciences, Faculty of Nursing Airlangga UniversityAirlangga University Hospital
- , Andri WijayaAffiliated withFaculty of Nursing Airlangga University
- , Abu BakarAffiliated withFaculty of Nursing Airlangga University
- , Ferry EfendiAffiliated withFaculty of Nursing Airlangga University
Caring behavior in nursing education is essential as this is the first stage for students to learn about the most significant values and essence of their profession. Application on thecaring behavior of nursing students is influenced by various factors.
The purpose of this study was to analyze the influence of individual, psychological, and organizational factors on the caring behavior of nursing students in internship program.
Design used in this study was descriptive analytic with cross-sectional approach. The population was Regular Nursing Students of Internship Program in Faculty of Nursing Airlangga University. The total sample was 26 respondents, taken according to inclusion criteria. The independent variables in this study: GPA, personality, motivation, and workload. The dependent variable was caring behavior. Data were collected by using modified questionnaires for independent variables and observation checklist for caring behavior, modified of Middle Range of Caring Theory Swanson. Data were analyzed by using multiple linear regression bylevel of significance p <0.05.
The result showed that caring behavior was influence by GPA (p=0.003), extraversion (p=0.045), conscientiousness (p=0.005), need for achievement (p=0.008), need for affiliation (p=0.007), need for power (p=0.012), and workload (p=0.001).
Workload was the most dominant factors that influence caring behavior in nursing students. Initial recognition intervention is needed to introduce students with internship situation. Empowers faculty member to excel as clinical educator on this stage will helpful for student.
KeywordsGPA big five personality motivation workload caring behavior nursing students
- Indonesian Nursing Students in Caring Behavior
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
GSTF Journal of Nursing and Health Care (JNHC)
- Online Date
- September 2015
- Online ISSN
- Global Science and Technology Forum
- Additional Links
- big five personality
- caring behavior
- nursing students