Application of Adsorption Chromatography in the Papain Processing
- He YuhaiAffiliated withFaculty of Chemical and Natural Resources Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Pahang
- , Syed mohd saufi Bin Tuan ChikAffiliated withFaculty of Chemical and Natural Resources Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Pahang
- , Chong Fui ChinAffiliated withFaculty of Chemical and Natural Resources Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Pahang Email author
A direct recovery of papain enzyme from unclarified Carica papaya juice was developed successfully using a reversed phase expanded bed adsorption chromatography (RP-EBAC). The dynamic binding capacity for the RP-EBAC at 10% breakthrough of 810.52 μg papain/g adsorbent was achieved at a linear flow velocity of 936 cm/h, bed expansion of two and feedstock viscosity of 2.68 mPa·s. Two-step elution was employed to enhance the purity of papain in RP-EBAC which gives high papain purity of 74.98% and high purification factor of 7.04. This work shows a great potential of using RP-EBAC with elution optimization step to purify papain from unclarified Carica papaya juice.
Key wordsPapain Chromatography RP-EBAC Purification
- Application of Adsorption Chromatography in the Papain Processing
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
GSTF Journal of Chemical Sciences (JChem)
- Online Date
- July 2014
- Online ISSN
- Global Science and Technology Forum
- Additional Links