Social Penetration by Social Media Usage
- Yudi PerbawaningsihAffiliated withCommunication Department, Atma Jaya Yogyakarta University Email author
Indonesia has a cultural value that women must be married. Therefore, women above 25 years and do not yet show signs for getting married will be the society’s gossip.To overcome the issues, parents usually help find a mate for her daughter, known as “match” or “forced marriages” regardless she is willing or not. On the other hand, women who looking for a mate through a dating agency are also considered as not good. In this condition, social media in Indonesia is very welcomed. The development of interpersonal relationship process becomes easier and faster.
Through conversation analysis the research shows that the social media changes the way we communicate and build interpersonal relation. It also changes the characters and the quality of interpersonal relationships. In the context of intercultural communication,symbols of communication are strongly bound by any culture, rather than inter-cultural relations based on conventional media.
Keywordscomponent interpersonal communication interpersonal relations social media Facebook social penetration
- Social Penetration by Social Media Usage
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
GSTF Journal on Media & Communications (JMC)
- Online Date
- September 2016
- Online ISSN
- Global Science and Technology Forum
- Additional Links
- interpersonal communication
- interpersonal relations
- social media
- social penetration
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Communication Department, Atma Jaya Yogyakarta University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia